Vegan Mushroom Tagliatelle
My favourite meal used to be creamy mushroom pasta but if I am honest I always felt bloated and full when I ate the traditional dish many years ago before I transitioned to a plant based diet. This is a version of it that's just as satisfying and creamy but I find it so much lighter and easy to digest. The addition of the olive tapenade balances out the sweetness of the coconut and makes it really special. Thankfully this is quick and very easy to prep!
Creamy Mushroom Tagliatelle With Walnut And Olive Tapenade
Creamy Mushroom Pasta & Sauce
- 100g of pasta (Tesco do a good free-from vegan tagliatelle but use whatever you prefer)
- olive oil
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme or fresh thyme
- 100g of mushrooms - I used oyster and button.
- 3 tablespoons of canned coconut milk.
Black Olive & Walnut Tapenade
- 15g of walnuts
- 5 pitted olives
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper to season.
- As per instructions put the pasta on to boil in the pot.
- Make the tapenade first by putting all the ingredients into a blender and pulsing.
- I like the walnuts to maintain some of their texture so this is more to just break them down and blend the flavours.
- Season to your preference.
- It will be bitter but this balances out with the creaminess of the mushrooms and the sweetness of the coconut.
- Set aside.
- Chop the shallot and the mushrooms and lightly fry in olive oil until they start to soften.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan.
- Add the thyme and fry for a further minute.
- Take one spoon of the pasta water and add it to the pan.
- Leave to simmer lightly.
- Add the coconut milk and stir to blend all together keeping the heat low.
- Strain the pasta and add to the sauce and then transfer to a heated serving plate quickly. The coconut will evaporate so if making in advance do all the steps up till adding it and the pasta to the sauce.
- I like to create a tower and add the tapenade to the top of the pasta.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- This goes well with a simple rocket salad.
Let me know what you think?
Till next week!