My Juice Fast Diary & Tips
A few weeks back I was contacted and asked to review the Fiona Lamb Hypnotheraphy 6 week Healthy Mind Healthy Body course. I've always been fascinated by the idea of hypnotherapy and listen to mediations online before I go to sleep. I started listening to the course about a month ago. It very easily puts me to sleep as there is a relaxation element for about 10 minutes before she starts going into the program. After about two weeks of using it I started to feel something change. I felt I needed a reboot. I wanted to get back to that place where I genuinely wanted to and enjoyed eating well.
I've done a few juice fasts abroad in Jason Vale's retreat (see my experience >here<) and loved how well I felt after it but had never followed through at home. For me snacking and grazing throughout the day was a big downfall. Working from home the kitchen is very near and full of temptations. I decided I was going to do 3 days and my dad actually joined me as well.
I got started the Monday before the bank holiday weekend knowing it was a short week as we were going away on the Thursday. First up I went shopping. I went to Lidl because they've reasonable vegetables a lot are organic. I had a rough plan of four juices a day, 2 litres of water and as much herbal tea as possible. I juiced twice a day. I made a big batch the night before so I had my breakfast juice ready and waiting and at lunchtime I made another two.
Two recipes I used a lot are :
My Ultimate Glowing Green Smoothie
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 2 Stalksof celery
- 1 inch fresh ginger root
- 2 apples
- 1 banana
- 2 servings of Udo's oil blend
- 2 1/2 dates if required for a little natural sweetness
- Wash and slice the juicing ingredients.
- Juice them.
- I use a cold-press juicer which takes a little longer but uses less heat and as a result the juice stays fresher for longer.
- Blend the juice with 1 banana, the Udo's oil and dates if you want it a little sweeter.
I always try to double up on this and have it as an afternoon snack too. As it's cold-pressed it lasts for 2 days in the fridge.
My One Minute Green Juice
- 2 Stalks celery
- 1 organic cucumber
- 2 apples
- 2 inches of peeled ginger
- a handful of spinach leaves
- 1 peeled lemon
- 4 7/8 Milliliter of chia seeds
- Chop up all ingredients as required by your juicer and juice them.
- When finished stir in the chia seeds and enjoy!
I also added in beetroot and carrots to change up the colour.
How I felt:
Day 1 – Actually went quickly until 5pm. Then I really felt so bored and frustrated. This is the time that is probably my downfall as I snack, prepare dinner and probably reward myself with food a bit too much. I felt antsy and irritated. A hot shower and an early night was necessary.
Day 2- I woke up feeling really heavy. I quite literally did not want to get out of bed. I felt cranky and I also could feel the beginnings of a spot on my chin. Apparently breakouts are normal. This day was tough and uncomfortable.
Day 3 – From the outset I knew this day would be a challenge. There was no less than 4 events on, all with important clients. I bought two juices with me and I suppose at least having something with me made saying no to all the goodies presented just about OK. Surprisingly towards the end of the day I genuinely forgot I was on a cleanse or missing dinner. It was lovely! Also usually I spend an hour or so preparing dinner and felt like I had so much more time!
Day 4 - I woke up feeling energised and clear skinned. I also felt more in touch with what it feels like to feel full. Honestly I could have gone on at this stage but we were going away and there's more to life than juice!
What did it cost?
Provided you already have a juicer, blender, chopping boards and glasses you only need to buy the fruit and vegetables. I did two shops throughout mine and spent approximately €45 in total. See one of the receipts from Lidl below:
If you go on a juice fast these are my tips:
- Make your juice for the next day, the night before. Waking up tired but having the juice ready was so helpful and kept me committed.
- Don't let yourself go hungry or go more than a few hours without another juice.
- Know that you will feel strange and uncomfortable and just sort of weird. Initially I thought I was doing something wrong but in fact it’s all part of the process.
- Sleep as much as you can
- Avoid anyone you have a grudge with as manners go out the window circa day 3.
- Remind yourself why you are doing this. For example I knew that I had eaten far too casually for over 3 months and rewarded myself with treat foods. By comparison 4 days seems a pretty small price to pay.
- Get Social -I found Instagram a massive motivation. Looking up #’s associated with juicing or juice cleanses was so, helpful. It can feel a bit isolating but according to Instagram the world is juicing!
- Follow a plan or program. I followed the Jason Vale app. It structures what you’re doing and has a proper shopping list. You need focus when surrounded by temptation.
- Make twice if not triple all recipes so you are ready for your next fix. Most of the hassle associated with juicing is down to chopping veg, and cleaning the juicer. The process only takes me 20 minutes start to finish but doing it twice a day is my limit, or my excuse!
- Buy lots of flasks and have them filled or take them with you when you are on the run. Dealz or the €2 shop had loads.
I am now back to normal eating but I am so glad I did the cleanse. I am juicing a few times a week and I genuinely feel I have more energy as a result. I am also into week 5 of the Fiona Lamb Hypnotherapy and really finding it beneficial. I will let you know when I come to the end of the course!
Let me know if you have any juicing tips!
Lots of love,